Signing Day for the class of 2013 has come and gone, so full attention is now on the class of 2014. This upcoming sports season the Atlantic Coast Conference welcomes two new members – the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University – to the fold.
As class of 2014 football recruiting heats up, there are several story lines to follow. Boston College, N.C. State and Syracuse are breaking in new head coaches. For the University of Maryland, the 2013/2014 sports year will be its last as a member of the ACC. Miami is dealing with potentially heavy NCAA sanctions on the horizon. Florida State, Virginia and Virginia Tech underwent significant coaching staff changes in the offseason. We’ll find out how all of these schools fare on Signing Day 2014.
This “Road To Signing Day 2014″ feature will be a weekly report on how each school is doing in the class, updating new commitments and de-commitments along the way.
So far, Florida State leads the way with six rising senior commitments in the fold. Miami and Clemson have five each. At this point, only three schools — Georgia Tech, N.C. State and Wake Forest — have yet to get on the board with a commitment.
BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES
-Marcus Outlow, RB, Norwich Free Academy (Norwich, CT)
Recent Developments/Notes: Outlow verbally committed to the Eagles on February 20 over offers from Connecticut, Florida, and Ohio State. He is the first recruit in Steve Addazio’s first full recruiting class as BC head coach.
- Dalvin Cook, RB, Central (Miami, FL)
- Taylor Hearn, OL, Williston Elko (Williston, S.C.)
- Jae-lon Oglesby, RB, D.W. Daniel (Central, S.C.)
- Cannon Smith, TE, Hammond School (Columbia, S.C.)
- Deshaun Watson, QB, Gainesville (GA)
Recent Developments/Notes: Record-setting quarterback Deshaun Watson, who is rated a 5-star recruit by Rivals.com, and consensus 4-star running back Dalvin Cook headline the class so far. The most recent commitment is from Hearn, a 6’5″, 305-pound lineman who pledged to the Tigers the first week in February.
DUKE BLUE DEVILS
- Zavier Carmichael, LB, St. Paul’s (Mobile, AL)
Recent Developments/Notes: Carmichael hails from a talented St. Paul’s program, which features two other major college prospects — including 4-star linebacker Tre Williams – in the class of 2014. Carmichael committed to the Blue Devils in June of 2012.
FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
- Demarcus Christmas, DT, Manatee (Bradenton, FL)
- J.C. Jackson, DB, Immokalee (FL)
- Blake McClain, DE, Sandalwood (Jacksonville, FL)
- Delvin Purifoy, LB, Catholic (Pensacola, FL)
- JoJo Robinson, ATH, Northwestern (Miami, FL)
- C.J. Worton, WR, South Dade (Homestead, FL)
Recent Developments/Notes: McClain verbally committed to the Noles earlier this week. The 6’4″, 260-pound prospect is a major get, as he was also pursued by Alabama, LSU, and many others. As you can see, the Noles are doing quite well in the Sunshine State in the class of 2014.
GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS
- Jared Cohen, OL, McDonogh (Owings Mills, MD)
Recent Developments/Notes: Cohen is the Terps’ only pledge to date, coming aboard on February 18. As Matt Bracken of the Baltimore Sun writes, the class of 2014 will be Maryland’s first as members of the Big 10 conference. The Terrapins will play in the ACC this coming season before moving on in 2014.
- Trevor Darling, OL, Central (Miami, FL)
- Alin Edouard, QB, Hialeah (FL)
- Nick Linder, OL, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
- Travis Rudolph, WR, Cardinal Newman (West Palm Beach, FL)
- Joseph Yearby, RB, Central (Miami, FL)
Recent Developments/Notes: Likely interior lineman Nick Linder pledged to the Canes earlier this week. Miami made headlines last week, when touted running back Joseph Yearby de-committed from Florida State in favor of Al Golden’s program. Both the Noles and the Canes have all Florida prospects in their respective 2014 classes.
NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS
- Tajze Battle, DB, Dunbar (Fort Myers, FL)
- Robert Dinkins, DE, Olympic (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Freeman Jones, PK, Bunn (N.C.)
Recent Developments/Notes: UNC landed two commitments following a camp last June. The Tar Heels added a third pledge this week, when place-kicker Freeman Jones jumped on board. ChrisSailerKicking.com has an informative profile on the UNC’s potential future kicker.
N.C. STATE WOLFPACK
- Chandler Kincade, QB, Blackhawk (Beaver Falls, PA)
Recent Developments/Notes: Kincade verbally committed to the Panthers all the way back in November of 2011. Last September, Kincade drew high praise for what he has shown on the high school level and the potential he has in college.
- Naesean Howard, RB, West Genesee (Camillus, N.Y.)
Recent Developments/Notes: Howard is the first class of 2014 commitment for head coach Scott Shafer, who took over for now Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone in January. Shafer was the Orange’s defensive coordinator the previous four years.
Howard, who has a storied past but seems to be on the right track, could end up on the defensive side of the ball but is being recruited initially as a running back.
- Quin Blanding, S, Bayside (Virginia Beach, VA)
- Chris Nelson, DT, Victory Christian Academy (Lakeland, FL)
Recent Developments/Notes: Following a disappointing 2012 season and offseason coaching turnover, the Cavaliers gained a much needed offseason spark when 5-star safety Quin Blanding committed on February 27.
VIRGINIA TECH HOKIES
- Xavier Burke, TE/DL, Brunswick (Lawrenceville, VA)
- Javon Harrison, DB, Kathleeen (Lakeland, FL)
- Vinny Mihota, DE, Massaponax (Fredericksburg, VA)
- Marshawn Williams, RB, Phoebus (Hampton, VA)
Recent Developments/Notes: Virginia Tech’s four commitments came in the late spring/summer of 2012. RB Marshawn Williams made headlines in February, when he transferred from Hampton High to its arch-rival, Phoebus. Williams reportedly is exploring other schools but remains committed to the Hokies. We’re counting him in the “soft” commit category at this time.
WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS